Hello! My name Jeremy Gibben, but you may call me Jerry. Ironically, my twin brother is Thomas. And yes, we did fight like cat and mouse, which leads me to the beginning of my story. The summer after we graduated from high school, we decided to take a trip to Greece. We went to the little town of Chania on the island of Crete. We had the most amazing two weeks spending most of our time chasing after girls as two 18 year olds would normally do. We spent lots of time in the water snorkeling, surfing, wakeboarding and deep water diving.
Well, the day we went diving was not the most pleasant experience. I decided that I was perfectly capable of handling the dive on my own. So, I decided to swim faster than we were told to get straight into exploring. About a 4 minutes into the dive, my mask turned red. I had searing pain in my ears and it felt like my tooth was going to explode. I had no idea what was happening. Tom saw that I was flailing and he came to my rescue. This was one of the rare occasions that the cat saved the mouse. We got onto the boat that had brought us out. We were rushed to shore and headed straight for the nearest hospital.
The bill for my silly adventure was over $6,000. Our jaws dropped because we didn’t have the money and we had never bought travel insurance. Tom called our dad and told him what happened. Our dad almost flew out to come kill me himself, but he let us use our emergency credit card to pay the bill.
After the incident, I got my first job as a travel insurance salesman. I spent about seven years with the company before venturing off and trying to give people like me the opportunity to travel and get affordable coverage. And so, here I am today to tell you about some of the benefits of travel insurance for all you naysayers.
Types of Travel Insurance Coverage
- Medical: This would have definitely come in handy for me when I was in Greece. So, let’s say you’ve come down with a bad stomach bug on a tiny island or a jungle in Brazil, you’ll definitely want to have coverage to avoid out-of-pocket costs. Sorry, Dad.
- Evacuation: God forbid a natural disaster occur or ISIS attack the Middle Eastern city you’re in, getting to a safe place in a time like that can be extremely frightening. Travel insurance can help you get out of harm’s way while covering the costs.
- Cancellation: Honestly, this type of insurance will come in handy more than you can imagine. Imagine that a last minute knee injury ruins your trip, you’ll be able to get your money back for the travel arrangements.
- Baggage: There’s nothing worse than losing your luggage, finding it damaged or having it stolen. You’ll at least be able to get some reimbursement for the new bathing suit you’ll need.
- Death and dismemberment: Think of this as life insurance. This will help your family get a payout should you meet your fate.